Reminders and upcoming events for 2016
- Deadline reminders
Note: if you would like to receive dojo email announcements, please email
(be sure to provide your name!).
- AUSKF Newsletter Volume 19 No. 1
is now available online
- SEJSCC January Tomodachi newsletter
is now available online
- Sat 1/14/16:
SCKF godo geiko; board meeting, Chuo 6pm; 7:30pm
- Sun 1/21-22/17: FIK Shinpan Seminar, Chicago
Kodama Jean will be attending.
- Fri 1/27/17:
monthly dojo tournament 7:30p
- Sun 1/29/17: Team SCKF practice, Norwalk 8am-noon
- Wed 2/1/17: SEJSCC advisory committee meeting, SEJSCC
- Sun 2/5/17:
Kubota Memorial Tournament, Wilson Park
- Sat 2/11/17:
Steveston Taikai, Canada
Kodama Jean will be attending.
- Sun 2/12/17: Team SCKF practice, Norwalk 8am-noon
- Sun 2/18-19/17:
AUSKF Mudansha Seminar, Huntington Beach
- Sun 2/26/17: Team SCKF practice, Norwalk 8am-noon
- Sun 3/12/17: Team SCKF practice, Norwalk 8am-noon
- Sun 3/26/17: Center spring clean up
- Sun 4/2/17: Team SCKF practice, Norwalk 8am-noon
- Sat 4/8/17: Center Recognition Dinner
- Sat-Sun 4/8-9/16: AUSKF Board meeting and shinsa, San Jose
- Sun 4/23/17: Team SCKF practice, Norwalk 8am-noon
- Sun 5/7/17: Team SCKF practice, Norwalk 8am-noon
- Sun 5/21/17: Team SCKF practice, Norwalk 8am-noon
- Sun 6/4/17: Team SCKF practice, Norwalk 8am-noon
- Sun 6/18/17: Team SCKF practice, Norwalk 8am-noon
- Thu 6/22/17: AUSKF Junior Open, San Jose
- Fri-Sun 6/23-53/17: AUSKF Kendo Championships, San Jose
- Fri 7/21/17: carnival prep 7:30p
- Sat-Sun 7/22-23/17: Center Cultural Festival, SEJSCC
- Mon 7/24/17: carnival clean up 7:00p
- Recurring Norwalk Dojo events
- Special practices, Sun 8-10am.
These practices are for Norwalk Dojo members only and
are primarily intended for yudansha and serious kyu kenshi.
Those having difficulty making it to weeknight practices
(expat college students, workers with long commutes, etc),
are especially encouraged to attend. Next practices:
have been suspended due to hosting
Team SCKF practices
(you are welcome to attend, but please make sure you're
ready for a hard practice!)
- Yudansha practices, 1st Monday practice
of the month (after regular keiko), except as noted. For 1dan
and above only, so everyone can practice at an advanced level.
- Shiai geiko, 3rd Monday practice of the
month (after regular keiko), except as noted.
For all kenshi in bogu, to hone your competitive skills.
- Monthly tournament, last Monday practice
in even months or last Friday practice in odd months, except as
noted. We require participation, especially yudansha shinpan,
to be eligible for promotion.
From March on we will do a round robin tournament
if there are less than 6 people in the division
(everyone plays everyone else,
time limit 2 minutes, no encho or hantei, 1st place goes
to the person with the most wins, then the most points won.
In case of tie there will be a 2-minute 1ppon shobu playoff).
- Kata practices
We require all 3 kyu and above to attend kata practices and to
perform kata one level above
Prior to the fall shinsa, all 3kyu and above will start practicing
kata about 3 months prior to the shinsa, culminating in kata exams
for all kenshi, regardless of shinsa aspirations.
Good attendance and performance will be a prerequisite for entry
in the shinsa.
For potential candidates for the spring shinsa (this will
be a minimal set), kata evaluations will take place in February,
and further kata practices will occur as needed.
- Monthly attendance recognition
We will recognize good, excellent, and perfect attendance on
a monthly basis for everyone (even sensei!).
Note: you must be here on time (tardies do not count)!
- Extra practices (outside of Norwalk Dojo)
are encouraged for advanced kenshi.
Note that this is in addition to, not instead of, Norwalk
keiko! Our sister dojo include
Costa Mesa Dojo,
Covina Dojo, and
Other recommended practices include
SCKF godo geiko
(Chuo 6-7pm 2nd Saturday of the month),
Sheriffs nichiyokai (ULV 8:30-10am 1st Sunday of the month),
Covina Dojo special practice (2-4pm 1st Sunday of the month).
Covina also has a special ato-geiko on the
2nd Tuesday of the month from 9:30-11:30pm.
Please discuss it with the Norwalk sensei when you wish to start
attending outside practices.
- Federation practices, Sun 8am-12pm.
Norwalk Dojo is hosting
Team SCKF practices to prepare for the
Championships in 2017.
2017: 1/8, 1/29, 2/12, 2/26,
3/12, 4/02, 4/23, 5/07, 5/21, 6/04, 6/18
- Per dojo policy, if you need to take some time off from keiko,
you must notify the dojo in writing before the beginning of the
to avoid dues for that month being deducted from your security deposit.
Also, if funds are deducted from your deposit for whatever reason,
you must replenish it as soon as possible.
- In order to practice kendo at Norwalk Dojo, you must sign
liability forms for
parents must sign a
medical treatment form for minors.
- When paying by check, the payee should be
"Southeast Japanese School", with "Norwalk Kendo Dojo" on the
- Sheriff's Dept phone number 562-863-8711
The SEJSCC Board recommends not to confront anyone suspicious
loitering on the property; instead call the sheriff's department.
We also need to keep unmonitored entrance doors closed.
Do not leave valuables unattended, especially in the dressing
rooms or parking lot.
- Fri 1/13/17: keiko
Thank you to Dong Allyson sensei (CM) for practing with us!
Dong sensei and Kariya sensei will perform kendo kata at the Kubota
After first practice, we presented new sensei Yoon Brian with his
official set of shinpanki (referee flags).
Also thank you to Tseng George for the delicious moon cake from
- Sun 1/8/17:
SCKF New Year's Party, Alhambra
Yoon Brian and Kodama Jean will be attending.
- Sun 1/8/17: Team SCKF practice, Norwalk 8am-11am
Moved from 1/15. Ending early due to SCKF new year's party.
- Fri 1/6/17: Norwalk Dojo first keiko of 2017
Thanks so much to the moms for making the delicious zenzai and
freshly made mochi dishes! Everything was so good! Kodama Jean also
brought homemade chocolate chip cookies and decorated gingerbread.
- Happy holidays!
Norwalk Dojo will be on holiday break from
Fri 12/23 through Mon 1/2.
holiday schedule for other dojo schedules.
- Mon 12/19/16: Norwalk Dojo last keiko of 2016
- Sun 12/18/16: Team SCKF practice, Norwalk 8am-noon
- Sat 12/17/16: Nakagawa Noriko funeral, Rose Hills 11am
- Fri 12/16/16: Norwalk Dojo Christmas Party, SEJSCC
This year we will have a small celebration in classrooms #1 and #2.
A huge thank you to Fu Linda for volunteering to organize it!
Talk to Linda to RSVP or if you have any questions.
- Mon 12/12/16:
monthly dojo tournament 7:00p
Congratulations to monthly tournament winners
Cho Daniel (4-1 kyu),
and Chang Jeffrey (yudansha).
- Fri 12/9/16: sharing the gym with judo
Thank you to Chang Scott sensei (SD) for practicing with us!
- Sun 12/4/16: Team SCKF eliminations, El Rancho HS
Norwalk participants include Kim Ryan, Cho Daniel, Cho Ryan (junior
boys); Fu Linda (women's); Hamamura Yu, Chang Jeffrey (men's); and
Kodama Jean (senior).
Congratulations to Fu Linda and
Chang Jeffrey for being selected to Team SCKF!
- Fri 12/2/16: sharing the gym with judo