Reminders and upcoming events for 2017
- Deadline reminders
- unless otherwise noted below, we will have practice every Monday and Friday
- see more notes below
- Fri 12/15/17: Norwalk Dojo Christmas party, 7:30pm
- Sun 12/17/17: SCKF Youth Practice, Norwalk Dojo
- Mon 12/18/17: Norwalk Dojo last keiko of 2017
- Happy holidays!
Norwalk Dojo will be on holiday break from
Fri 12/22 through Mon 1/1.
holiday schedule for other dojo schedules.
- Wed 1/3/18: SEJSCC advisory committee meeting, 7pm SEJSCC
- Fri 1/5/18: Norwalk Dojo first keiko of 2018
- Sat 1/13/18:
SCKF godo geiko; board meeting, Chuo 6pm; 7:30pm
- Sun 1/13/18:
SCKF New Year's Party, Almansor Court
Cho sensei will be among the honorees. $40 ($20 for children 3-12).
- Sun 1/21/18:
Mori Hai Tournament, Wilson Park
Norwalk participants include Cho Ryan, Cho Daniel, Kim Ryan
(3-1kyu), Chung Connie (women's kyu), Fu Linda (women's dan),
Chang Jeffrey, Nguyen Emil (3-4 dan), Kodama Jean (senior);
shinpan Nguyen Emil, Chang Jeffrey, Kariya Yoshijiro, Kodama Jean.
- Sat 2/10/18: Steveston Tournament, Steveston Canada
- Sat-Sun 2/10-11/18: FIK Shinpan Seminar, Montreal Canada
Kodama Jean will be attending.
- Sun 2/25/18: SCKF Shinpan Seminar, El Rancho HS
- Sun 3/25/18: North-South Tournament, Wilson Park
- Sat 4/21/18: SCKF Spring Shinsa, tbd
- Sun 5/8/18: Nisei Week Tournament, tbd
- Sun 6/24/18: SCKF Individual Championships, Wilson Park
- Sun 7/8/18: SCKF Kata Seminar, El Rancho HS
- Wed 7/11/18: Camp Hanabi Kendo Demo 1:30-2:20pm
- Sat-Sun 7/28-29/18: SEJSCC Cultural Festival
- Sun 8/?/18: Nikkei Games, tbd
- Mon-Sun 8/13-26/18: gym closed for floor refurbishing
- Sun 9/30/18: SCKF Team Championships, Wilson Park
- Sun 10/21/18: SCKF Fall Shinsa, Wilson Park
- Recurring Norwalk Dojo events
- Monthly tournament, last Monday practice
in even months or last Friday practice in odd months, except as
noted. We require participation, especially yudansha shinpan,
to be eligible for promotion.
We will do a round robin tournament
if there are less than 6 people in the division
(everyone plays everyone else,
time limit 2 minutes, no encho or hantei, 1st place goes
to the person with the most wins, then the most points won.
In case of tie there will be a 2-minute 1ppon shobu playoff).
2018: 1/26f, 2/26m, 3/30f, 4/30m, 5/25f, 6/29m, 7/27f, 8/27m,
9/28f, 10/29m, 11/30f, 12/10m
- Kata practices
We require all 3 kyu and above to attend kata practices and to
perform kata one level above
Prior to the fall shinsa, all 3kyu and above will start practicing
kata about 3 months prior to the shinsa, culminating in kata exams
for all kenshi, regardless of shinsa aspirations.
Good attendance and performance will be a prerequisite for entry
in the shinsa.
For potential candidates for the spring shinsa (this will
be a minimal set), kata evaluations will take place in February,
and further kata practices will occur as needed.
Next kata practice sessions:
Thu (see special Thursday practice notes)
8/31, 9/7, 9/14, 9/21; Fri 9/29, 10/6/ 10/13
- Monthly attendance recognition
We will recognize good, excellent, and perfect attendance on
a monthly basis for everyone (even sensei!).
Note: you must be here on time; tardies do not count.
- Extra practices (outside of Norwalk Dojo)
are encouraged for advanced kenshi.
Note that this is in addition to, not instead of, Norwalk keiko!
Our sister dojo include
Costa Mesa Dojo,
Covina Dojo, and
Other recommended practices include
SCKF godo geiko
(Chuo 6-7pm 2nd Saturday of the month),
Sheriffs nichiyokai (ULV 8:30-10am 1st Sunday of the month),
Covina Dojo special practice (2-4pm 1st Sunday of the month).
Covina also has a special ato-geiko on the
2nd Tuesday of the month from 9:30-11:30pm.
Please discuss it with the Norwalk sensei when you wish to start
attending outside practices.
- Federation practices, Sun 8am-12pm.
Norwalk Dojo is hosting
SCKF youth practices
(Norwalk kenshi are encouraged to attend, but please make
sure you're ready for a hard practice).
- If you would like to receive dojo email announcements, please email
(be sure to provide your name!).
- In order to practice kendo at Norwalk Dojo, you must sign
liability forms for
SEJSCC, and parents must sign a
consent for medical treatment form for
minors. Outside kenshi need to sign an
SEJSCC guest liability form.
- Per dojo policy, if you need to take some time off from keiko,
you must notify the dojo in writing before the beginning of the
to avoid dues for that month being deducted from your security deposit
(email is suggested).
Also, if funds are deducted from your deposit for whatever reason,
you must replenish it as soon as possible.
- When paying by check, the payee should be
"Southeast Japanese School", with "Norwalk Kendo Dojo" on the
- Sheriff's Dept phone number 562-863-8711
The SEJSCC Board recommends not to confront anyone suspicious
loitering on the property; instead call the sheriff's department.
We also need to keep unmonitored entrance doors closed.
Do not leave valuables unattended, especially in the dressing
rooms or parking lot.