SCKF Bylaws Amendment Proposal
This page briefly describes 2015 changes to the SCKF Bylaws.
The Board of Directors accepted the proposed changes at the 1/10/15
(see "proposed changes" section below).
The Policies, Procedures, and Bylaws committee implemented the changes and
produced a set of Bylaws update documents ready for review at the 2/7/15
(see "implementation" section below),
and approved wording changes to the last paragraph of Article VI Section 3
were posted 2/9/15.
Board members are asked to submit any minor grammatical, typographical, or
formatting clean up requests to
no later than 2/11/15 so that a final set of documents may be posted by 2/13/15.
Board members are further requested to review the final documents at the
dojo level so that dojo representatives can
vote on the updated Bylaws at the March 2015 meeting.
(approved at 1/10/15 SCKF Board meeting)
- allow iaido/jodo dojo
- modify wording that specifies only kendo or iaido
- do not add iaido chair (see note 2)
- remove equipment chair (see note 2)
- remove corresponding secretary (role is obsolete)
- remove one historian (revert to one per original bylaws)
- clarify 2-term limit (VI.3):
remove "impedes" phrase (approved at 2/7/15 meeting)
- bylaws change review period typically 2 weeks
(vs 1 month)
- minor grammatical, typographical, and formatting clean up
Implementation of changes to Bylaws
- This proposal does not include the following two changes
at the October'14 meeting
- add Executive Board
- changes to meeting occurrence wording
(at least once a quarter, etc)
- Chairs will be covered in the policy and procedures
document on committees
- Also see implementation notes below
- document links
- the following notes are intended to assist in understanding the
- red highlights are deletions
yellow highlights are additions
green highlights are typographical, grammatical,
and formatting corrections
- notes for changed articles are listed below
- unaffected articles are not listed, nor is
miscellaneous clean up (green highlight)
- in the course of working on the changes, committee members
concluded the following:
- it is unnecessary to add specification of policies and
procedures documents in the Bylaws
(was proposed change "I" above, since deleted)
- the intent of proposed change "VI" above is to allow the
Board to specify the review period.
Ended up stating "typically 1 month"
(vs exactly 1 month or typically 2 weeks)
- Article III- Membership
- Section 1: reword so as not to exclude iaido or jodo
- Section 2: reword so as not to exclude iaido or jodo
- Section 3: reword so as not to exclude iaido or jodo.
Also clarifies a dojo instructor's rank must be recognized by SCKF.
- Article VI - Board of Directors and Officers
- Section 2: add jodo
- Section 3: delete Corresponding Secretary.
Clarify 2-term limit.
- Section 4: delete Equipment Chairman and one Historian
- Article VIII - Duties of Officers
- Section 5: remove Corresponding Secretary
- Section 6: remove one Historian
- Section 10: remove Equipment Chairman
- Article XIII - Amendments
- Reword review period to allow length to be set by the Board
- 1/6/15 initial draft
- 1/8/15 updates:
- insert V (revert back to one historian)
- tweak VI (nomination for more than 2 terms)
- 1/10/15 updates:
- VII. for "minor clean up" specify
grammatical, typographical, and formatting
- with the above, the proposed changes were approved at the
1/10/15 SCKF Board meeting
- 2/3/15 updates:
add new section "Implementation of changes to Bylaws"
- includes links to highlighted and clean drafts of new bylaws
- includes notes on changes
- 2/9/15 updates:
- edit opening paragraphs to reflect approvals and upcoming deadlines
- ditto "proposed changes" section
- modify paths to reflect March meeting change from 3/14/15 to 3/7/15
- save previous document set in directory 150314b
- save new document set in directory 150307b
- rename this file to bl_2015_prop.htm
- 2/14/15 updates:
(added last minute typographical, grammatical,
and formatting clean up)
SCKF home page