Planning Notes for Yamaguchi Sensei's
Funeral and Reception
Funeral services will be held for Yamaguchi sensei on Monday,
10/15/12 (see info).
This page documents our preparation efforts.
Check back frequently, as this page will be updated continously!
Early history/eulogy Later history/eulogy
Arthur Murakami Brian Olson
Pallbearers Honorary pallbearers
Masashi Yamaguchi Morihei Henmi
Mitsuru Yamaguchi Jean Kodama
Hiro Yamaguchi Mike Yoshimura
Takeshi Nakagawa Steve Yoshimura
Brian Yoon Hiroyoshi Hosokawa
Yuji Hosokawa Spencer Hosokawa
Brian Olson Richard Hill
Linda Fu Kayoko Fukumoto
Sumi Domen Sayoko Niizawa
Jeffrey Chang Kazunori Kobayashi
Shotaro Amano Yoko Kobayashi
Yu Hamamura Shiho Suzuki
Takeo Takanashi Satoshi Tauchi
Yoshijiro Kariya Richard Ra
- Arrive at the chapel at 10am to go over duties and questions.
Chapel will be available for set up 10:30 am.
Rose Hills will provide:
We will need to bring
- tables, registry book, pens
- 8 pairs of gloves for the pallbearers
- 15 boutonnieres for the pallbearers and honorary pallbearers
- programs [EY]
- maps from Rose Hills to Norwalk Dojo [KT]
- extra supplies (pens, paper, rubber bands) [EY]
- Receptionists are responsible for receiving and cataloguing
cards and koden. Two need to be on duty during the service.
There will be a system with each receptionist being assigned a unique
letter (A-H) and recording 10 envelopes per sheet. Make sure to
get names and addresses. See instructions and
- Floral registrars are responsible for recording and photographing
- Ushers will seat the attendees. The only designated areas are
family at front left and pallbearers and honorary pallbearers front
Special assistance should be provided to the elderly, both at the
chapel and the burial (bumpy grass can be hazardous).
- After the service, the pallbearers will carry the casket from the
stage area to the hearse. Honorary pallbearers will follow behind.
Flowers will be transported to the burial site by Rose Hills.
- At the burial area, the pallbearers will carry the casket to the
gravesite. Ushers will pick flowers from arrangements and hand
out to attendees to place on casket. Some arrangements should be
left intact so they can be taken to Norwalk Dojo [BO, DR].
Food chair: Mrs Domen Program chair: Jean Kodama
Members (alphabetical): Other shairs:
Mrs Amano Mr Yoshimura (set up)
Linda Fu Kay Kim (decorations)
Janet Hahn Sumi Domen (slideshow)
Mrs Hamamura Linda Fu (signs)
Min Young Kim
Mr & Mrs Shibata
Jung Soo Yoon
Program (start approx 2pm, following graveside services)
- MC: Jean Kodama
- introduction of family and guests from out of town
- telegrams (?)
- selected speakers (1min each)
one each from major groups/regions, tentatively:
AUSKF, SCKF, SCKO, NCKF, NOR, CM, SCIA
(will need to finalize that day)
- slide show (1min)
- open mike for others wishing to speak
- more slide shows (1min each), interspersed with speakers
- set finish time so we can end and clean up
Judo room notes
- NYS has offered to clean the tables/chairs and leave them in place
following their pancake breakfast on Saturday
- Several yudansha will come in Sunday 7:30am to put away tarps in gym,
practice kata for shinsa, and start arranging tables and chairs in
the judo room
- NOR food committee and decorating committee will come in Sunday 5pm
and early Monday
- Mr Yoshimura will be in charge of setting up reception area
(layout, PA, podium, reception table)
- Sumi Domen is preparing a slide show that will run continuously before
and after the program. Dennis Ralutin is preparing 1-minute
slideshows to show between sets of speakers.
- Linda Fu is in charge of signage
- Reception table has been set up in the hall corner between the front
door and the hallway leading to the judo room
- Receptionists (2 per shift) should be in place by 1pm to cover those
not attending the graveside services
- The head table is along the north wall. The family may choose to
park on that side and enter through the northeast doors.
- You may carpool from Norwalk Dojo to Rose Hills (make your own
arrangements). Plan on leaving no later than 9:30am to get there by 10.
- Mrs Horii will take photographs at the funeral and reception
(also search for "?" on this page)
fv to borrow and set up projector
BO fv for reception table at the reception
JK record names of those at the head table
fv means "find volunteer(s)"
BO Brian Olson
BY Brian Yoon
DR Dennis Ralutin
EY Elaine Yamaguchi
JK Jean Kodama
KT Korhan Tekin
LF Linda Fu
If anyone or anything is missing, please
let us know!