SCKF Bylaws Amendment Proposal
The following briefly describes proposed changes to the SCKF Bylaws.
After discussion and acceptance by the Board of Directors, the
Policies, Procedures, and Bylaws committee will begin drafting the
changes to produce the actual document to be submitted for Board approval.
The goal for submitting the final document is the February 2015 meeting so
it can be approved at the March 2015 meeting.
(approved at 1/10/15 SCKF Board meeting)
- add reference to policies and procedures documents
- can clarify bylaws
- cannot violate bylaws
- shall be approved by a simple majority of a quorum
following a period of review, typically two weeks
- allow iaido/jodo dojo
- modify wording that specifies only kendo or iaido
- do not add iaido chair (see note 2)
- remove equipment chair (see note 2)
- remove corresponding secretary (role is obsolete)
- remove one historian (revert to one per original bylaws)
- clarify 2-term limit (VI.3):
shall not be nominated to serve (vs shall not serve)
- bylaws change review period typically 2 weeks
(vs 1 month)
- minor grammatical, typographical, and formatting clean up
Implementation of changes to Bylaws
- This proposal does not include the following two changes
at the October'14 meeting
- add Executive Board
- changes to meeting occurrence wording
(at least once a quarter, etc)
- Chairs will be covered in the policy and procedures
document on committees
- document links
- the following notes are intended to assist in understanding the
- red highlights are deletions
yellow highlights are additions
green highlights are grammatical and formatting corrections
- notes for changed articles are listed below
- unaffected articles are not listed, nor is
miscellaneous clean up (green highlight)
- in the course of working on the changes, committee members
concluded the following:
- it is unnecessary to add reference to policies and
procedures documents into the Bylaws
(proposed change "I" above)
- the intent of proposed change "VII" above is to allow the
Board to specify the review period.
Ended up stating "typically 1 month"
(vs exactly 1 month or typically 2 weeks)
- Article III- Membership
- Section 1: reword so as not to exclude iaido or jodo
- Section 2: reword so as not to exclude iaido or jodo
- Section 3: reword so as not to exclude iaido or jodo.
Also clarifies a dojo instructor's rank must be recognized by SCKF.
- Article VI - Board of Directors and Officers
- Section 2: add jodo
- Section 3: delete Corresponding Secretary.
Clarify 2-term limit.
- Section 4: delete Equipment Chairman and one Historian
- Article VIII - Duties of Officers
- Section 5: remove Corresponding Secretary
- Section 6: remove one Historian
- Section 10: remove Equipment Chairman
- Article XIII - Amendments
- Reword review period to allow length to be set by the Board
- 1/6/15 initial draft
- 1/8/15 updates:
- insert V (revert back to one historian)
- tweak VI (nomination for more than 2 terms)
- 1/10/15 updates:
- VII. for "minor clean up" specify
grammatical, typographical, and formatting
- with the above, the proposed changes were approved at the
1/10/15 SCKF Board meeting
- 2/3/15 updates:
add new section "Implementation of changes to Bylaws"
- includes links to highlighted and clean drafts of new bylaws
- includes notes on changes
- 7/8/15 updates
- create 2015/meetings/ppd/ directory for policies/procedures/bylaws
proposal files, move bylaws prop and draft files
SCKF home page